As we approach the New Year, you’ll likely find yourself thinking back on 2021 while anticipating the exciting potential of the year to come.
Whether you’re unsure of what direction to take or need help narrowing down all of your hopes and dreams into a realistic plan, we’re here to help!
Today, we’re sharing a five-part guide to help you plan for a successful year. Here’s what you can do this month to start 2022 off right!
1. Reflect on 2021 – your wins and losses
A lot can happen in a year! It’s important to take time to pause and reflect on the year that you’ve had. Think through the goals you set for yourself and the areas of life you intended to prioritize.
Areas To Reflect On
- Your health and happiness
- Your routines and habits
- Your relationships
- Your personal and/or spiritual growth
- How you spent your time and money
- Your professional development
- What stands out to you the most?
- What accomplishments are you most proud of? What were some of your best moments?
- Which areas were difficult? What did you learn from the challenges?
- Which areas were most rewarding?
- What worked – and what didn’t?
Much of what happened throughout the past year will help shape your plans for the next!
2. Outline what’s most important to you in life
Identify what is most important to you. Take time to outline your core values, passions, and strengths as a building block to developing personally meaningful goals for your new year.
- Values – Your values motivate you to prioritize based on what is most important to you. What matters most to you? What will you choose to value or prioritize in 2022?
- Passions – Your passions inspire you to stay excited and engaged in your life. What do you really love doing – and what makes you feel most alive?
- Strengths – Your strengths empower you to create relationships, achieve goals, and build your career. What are your gifts?
The Day Designer Flagship Planner includes a worksheet to help you outline these core components – or you can download this free printable!
3. Envision your ideal year ahead
In order to achieve what you want, you have to know what you want! The following three questions will provide a framework to help you get from point A to point B.
- What do you want? – Dream big and envision what you hope for in the future. Identify what you want your life to communicate and contribute. Where do you want to be on December 31, 2022?
- What is missing? – Consider what is missing that might add more joy, peace, and presence to your life.
- What can help you get there? – Determine what intentions you can set to get there. Set goals that align with what you want to happen. (More on this below!)
4. Brainstorm your goals
You are now ready to set your 2022 goals! Start by envisioning where you want to be a year from now. Think through the following five life segments, ideally in this order of priority to create balance:
- Self-Care – Health and happiness
- Relationships – Friends and family
- Personal Development – Never stop growing!
- Resources – Your time and money
- Vocation – Your job, career, and/or community involvement
Identify the progress that you’d like to see in each of the areas above and then map it out for your year (either in our Day Designer Flagship Planner or on this free printable).
5. Create an action plan!
It’s time to break it down, step by step. To make progress on your goals and to bring you closer to a life that is aligned with your values and priorities:
- Monthly Actions – What can you do on a monthly basis?
- Weekly Routines – What can you do on a weekly basis?
- Daily Habits – What can you do on a daily basis?
The Day Designer Flagship Planner includes a worksheet to help you break down your goals.